Self Storage Business Loans From The SBA
Self-Storage Businesses Are Eligible for SBA Loans
The SBA changed the rules for "passive income" properties back in 2010 making Mini Storage Businesses eligible for SBA financing. This is good news for those looking to refinance, acquire or build a self or mini storage facility as SBA financing offers especially high leverage. (Cold Storage Warehouses are also eligible).
95% Financing Possible for Experienced Owners
Ninety five percent financing is possible for experienced owners looking to build, acquire or refinance a facility. Borrowers need good credit and a proven track record to be considered for 95% financing.
90% Financing For Other Borrowers
90% financing is available for those who do not have storage industry experience but have enough relevant business experience and other personal strengths to get a lender comfortable with their ability to manage a property. It also helps to have experience with ownership of other types of investment property.
Please call 1-800-414-5285 for more information as each situation is unique.
Self Storage SBA Loan Benefits:
- Longer term loans are available (up to 25 years).
- SBA Loans have lower equity and down payment requirements - typically 10% for self storage, but 95% financing is now possible - for refinances, purchases and construction.
- SBA financing can be used to make improvements or to expand mini warehouse properties.
- Working capital and business debt consolidation are financeable for self storage businesses.
- All closing costs are financeable
- SBA financing can now be used to acquire or refinance multiple self storage/mini warehouse businesses since SBA eligibility is not determined by the number of loans but by the total amount of SBA eligibility used and this amount is now $5 million ($5.5 million for green or energy efficient buildings).
Furthermore, "green" or energy efficient facilities have a $5.5 million 504 (second) mortgage limit PER PROJECT making it possible to finance numerous facilities with the program.
NON-Recourse, NON-SBA Self Storage Financing
If you have at least 25% equity for a purchase or a refinance AND you are borrowing $2 million or more excellent conventional financing is available for everything from a 15 year fixed rate to a 10 year term with a 30 year amortization and in some cases interest only options are available. Non-recourse financing is available with very low rates. Properties need to be stabilized with good historical financials.
Please contact us at 1-800-414-5285 to see what is possible.
Mini Storage Financing with NO Prepayment Penalty up to 80%
Excellent NON-SBA financing with recourse/personal guarantee but with NO Prepayment Penalty is available up to 75% (possibly 80%) loan to value for properties and borrowers/sponsors with strong financials. Typical minimum loan amount will be $500,000.
Recent Fundings - 90% Loan to Value and "Quasi" 100% financing
- We recently assisted some clients with 90% loan to value financing for an under performing mini storage facility in spite of the fact that the clients had no mini storage industry experience. The occupancy for the facility had historically been lower than the rest of the market due to the fact that the current owner was not local and unable to provide real hands-on customer service. Despite this fact, the facility had enough cash flow to service the debt based on a 25 year amortization. Our clients, who are locals, were able to put down only 10% using the SBA 7a program.
- Another recent client had no ministorage experience, but owned a few single family investment properties and was looking to acquire a smaller facility with oversized units. The client had good credit and would continue to work his "regular" job. We were able to get him a 25 year loan with only 10% down.
- We also recently helped another client refinance a storage facility he owned combining it with the purchase of 2 other bank-owned facilities with (effectively) zero out of pocket. Client was purchasing 2 foreclosed properties owned by 2 different banks and was looking to leverage his equity in a 3rd property to make it happen. We assisted in structuring a transaction where he refinanced his existing facility to a lower rate/longer term loan which allowed him to purchase the 2 foreclosed properties. The client brought 10% to closing for the down payment on the 2 properties and the lender was able to structure the loan so that he received 10% back at closing in the form of working capital - effectively creating 100% financing.
- We recently helped a client refinance out of a high rate, shorter term loan into a low rate 5 year fixed with a 25 year amortization that dropped his payments almost in half. The property was located in semi-rural area and was quite basic but had solid cash flow for the last few years.
Refinance Option for Self Storage Facilities
The temporary refinance option offered through 504 Small Business Administration program that enabled the refinance of self and mini storage facilities at 90% loan to value expired September of 2012, but there is a "permanent" refinance provision (outlined below) and a lot of speculation that temporary program might be coming back as their appears to be bi-partisan support for it.
The 7a refinance program will continue to be available.
504 "Permanent" Refinance AND Expansion Option
A refinance option is available for businesses undergoing an expansion.
The caveat is that the cost of the "expansion" has to be twice what is currently owed on the subject property or properties.
An "expansion" is defined as: "any Project that involves the acquisition, construction or improvement of land, building or equipment for use by the small business applicant."
To qualify, the amount borrowed for new construction, expansion of an existing location or expansion to a new location must be for the same business to be considered eligible.
In other words, you can refinance an existing debt as part of an expansion of your business.
A few examples:
- You own a facility and owe $1 million on it and you want to purchase of a competitor's location for $2 million.
- You own a facility and owe $1 million on it and you want to build a new location with total project costs of $2 million.
- You own a facility and owe $500,000 on it and you want to expand the facility at a cost of $1 million.
In order to qualify there are a few key guidelines that must be met:
- 85% or more of the debt to be refinanced must be "504 eligible" - i.e. land, buildings, equipment.
- The new loan will provide a monthly payment that is 10% lower than the existing financing for that portion of the existing debt
- You have been current on all loans to be refinanced for at least the last 12 months
Higher SBA Loan and Eligibility Limits - Larger Businesses Eligible
The relatively new Self Storage Business guidelines also coincide with the following changes:
- New higher SBA 7a loan and eligibility limits of $5 million.
- Larger businesses are now eligible for SBA loans:
A small business is now defined as having a tangible net worth of up to $15 million and net - after tax - income of less than $5 million on average for the last 2 years.
- New higher 504 loan and eligibility limits including the ability to fund multiple large projects if facilities are energy efficient or produce some of their own renewable energy. The energy efficient test requires a 10% reduction in energy consumption and it might be possible use it in tandem with the 504 refinance option. (See refinance info below).
Click here: SBA Green Loans for energy efficient information
More Detailed Info:
Multiple Self Storage Facilities Now Financeable
All of the recent changes should have a significant positive impact on the Self Storage Industry, especially the increase in the SBA maximum eligibility rules.
SBA 7a loans are now available up to $5 million OR multiple 7a loans can be used to finance (or refinance) multiple properties. This is because the SBA eligibility is not calculated per loan but per borrower/business owner, so having one loan does not disqualify you from getting another. (i.e. you can have multiple loans that total $5 million).
More Eligibility with the 504 Loan Program Might Be Possible
Even higher loan amounts and project costs are available to storage facility businesses with the 504 program because the program consists of 2 loans - a first mortgage from a bank or lender and a 2nd mortgage guaranteed by the SBA, but only the second mortgage counts toward your maximum SBA eligibility...so if you primarily use the 504 program you should be able to finance more properties.
SBA self storage loans were new to SBA lenders in 2011 and some were slow to warm to the asset class since ministorage businesses were typically perceived as passive income properties.
Many lenders now understand the industry better and are actively making loans.
Self Storage Construction Loans Available
Most lenders are still much more willing to fund refinances, acquisitions and expansions of existing profitable businesses, but self storage construction financing is definitely available.
"Projection based" transactions where borrowers have good cash flow from other properties, businesses or sources are easier to get funded and feasibility studies will be required in most cases.
Please contact us at 1-800-414-5285 to discuss your individual situation.